What Is Self-Determination?
Self-determination is having the confidence to “take charge” of one’s life. Students who are self-determined can:
- Speak up for their wants and needs
- Make decisions
- Communicate effectively with others
- Recognize interests and goals for their future
How Can Transition Team Members Support The Development Of Self- Determination?
Transition team members play a strong role in helping students develop skills for self determination. This can be done by helping students:
- Learn about their disability, strengths, and needs
- Feel proud and confident about who they are
- Learn how to request accommodations and supports to help themselves succeed in life after high school
What Does Developing Self-Determination Skills Do For Students?
By learning self-determination skills, students can improve their:
Problem Solving SKills
Ability to find different solutions to problems and pick the one that helps reach a goal with the least amount of challenges.
Ability to advocate on their own behalf while getting involved in solving problems and making decisions.
Choice and Voice
Ability to make decisions that provide them with the opportunities they want to experience and the support they need to thrive independently.
Ability to create achievable goals and access the resources/supports needed to get there.
The PA Community on Transition offers resources on a variety of topics, all focused on improving outcomes for students with disabilities.